History of the PFSA
Chartered on August 1, 1880, the Portuguese Society of America (PFSA) is the result of the Merger of four great societies as of January 1, 2010:
- Conselho Supremo da Irmandade do Divino Espirito Santo do Estado da Califórnia (Supreme Council of IDES)
- Conselho Supremo da Sociedade do Espirito Santo do Estado da Califórnia (Supreme Council of SES)
- Conselho Supremo da União Portuguesa do Estado da Califórnia (Supreme Council of UPEC)
- Conselho Supremo da União Portuguesa Protectora do Estado da Califórnia (Supreme Council of UPPEC)
The merger resulted in the PFSA now having the largest membership and the financially strongest Portuguese Fraternal Benefit Society in the Nation. The PFSA Home Office is located in San Leandro, CA and the Society is licensed to transact business in California, Nevada and Rhode Island and has 67 fraternal councils (local subordinate chapters). We are proud of the dreams and vision of our forefathers and continue to honor their vision by succeeding and meeting the challenges of the XXI century with dignity and pride.